9/17/15

Counting Down to Change

     I flexed my fingers. The clock on the screen was counting down. These were old muscles, the ones that got me great seats for rock concerts back in the day: U2, Bonnie Raitt, Crosby Stills & Nash, the Allman Bros. I don't like Ticketmaster, but I knew it would be faster than talking with someone on the phone.
     The clock came to 0:00. The screen blinked, a wheely-thing spun for 30 seconds, and then the button came up that said “Purchase Tickets”. Two minutes later, I had them. 
     I've been to lots of concerts, mostly the Grateful Dead (ok, now I'm out of the closet – but what an awesome closet). These days I'm pretty choosy. I don't want to see a performer that sounds like s/he is sticking to the packaged goods. I want some improvisation, some in-the-moment, elevating, unpredictable beam of light into a way of being that has nothing to do with our every-dayness.  
     Sounds kind of religious, I guess. I prefer the word “spiritual”. Music can do that. So can certain people. 
     And that is what brought me back to Ticketmaster yesterday morning. Now I gleefully have in my hot little hands two tickets to the sold out appearance of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. His topic: “A Force for Good.” 
     What has changed? Me? Absolutely, and still at it. The world? Yes. I believe so. And still at it.
     Now, if only I can get tickets to see the Pope...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment