1/26/14

What is

     I've been thinking about the idea of multiple realities being present in one moment, as with a seed.  My reading and conversation with a teacher tell me that there is only one moment, the present moment.  Consider this from Mark Nepo's The Book of Awakening:  "Being human, we struggle constantly to stay with the miracle of what is and not to fall constantly into the black hole of what is not.  This is an ancient challenge.  As the Sufi poet Ghalib said centuries ago, 'Every particle of creation sings its own song of what is and what is not.  Hearing what is can make you wise; hearing what is not can drive you mad.'"
     I think I'm going to stop thinking about this for awhile. It is enough to observe.
     And this is one thing I observe: the present moment of the worm I found on the snow is beautiful – surprisingly glorious in fact! It did not revive in its worm form, but instead is transforming into new life before my eyes: resurrection, reincarnation in the lap of mother earth.